Ok, Friends. This has been a big one for me to tackle. These delightful little yummies are hands down one of my favorite things on their menu and my go-to snack when I need to grab something on the fly. The part that always gets me is the price adds up if this is a regular habit and I'm always sad when they're gone.
To be really honest here, the ingredients that I used (and that Starbucks uses) aren't really anything too crazy. What makes their egg bites and these egg bites different is the technique used to cook them The sous vide method that they use and the bain marie method that we'll use encourage even heat distribution and cooking so your egg bites will be tender and fluffy, just like Starbucks.
The recipe below is for my bacon and gouda bites, but I will share other variations in the notes below the recipe. Ready to get started?
Ingredients and Equipment:
- 1/4 C heavy cream
- 1/3 C shredded mozzarella
- 1/3 C grated smoked gouda
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/2 t pepper
- 5 slices fully cooked bacon chopped into small pieces*
- Cooking spray
- 3 C water
- 13 x 9" baking dish
- Standard 6 muffin pan
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Spray muffin cups lightly with cooking spray and place in 13x9" baking dish
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, heavy cream, salt and pepper until well combined and bubbly.
- Fold in bacon pieces and cheeses
- Evenly distribute mixture into muffin cups
- Place on center rack in oven and pour water into baking dish outside of the muffin pan (carefully so as not to get water into the egg mixture). You'll want the water to come most of the way up the outsides of the muffin cups. This is the bain marie (or water bath) method, which will mimic the sous vide method Starbucks uses.
- Bake 30 minutes or until egg bites are slightly golden brown on top and set.
- When you remove from oven, run a sharp knife around the outside of each bite to loosen from pan.
- Cool 5 minutes before removing and serving. May be stored up to 3 days in a sealed container in the refrigerator.
Here are some swaps to create other Starbucks varieties:
- For Ham and Cheddar (swap finely chopped ham for bacon, monterrey jack and cheddar cheeses for the recipe above. It is an even ingredient exchange. add 2 T chopped and drained roasted red peppers.)
- For Egg White Veggie (swap 6 egg whites for 4 whole eggs, and 2/3 C shredded monterey jack cheese for cheese options in recipe above. Remove bacon and add 1/3 cup diced roasted red pepper and finely chopped spinach.)
- For Bacon Gruyère (swap mozzarella and gouda for equal parts shredded gruyère and monterrey jack cheeses)